From 2009 to 2017, is has been a long journey for this character. Elrian started out as a princess, now she is a simple soldier. I’ve played her in two different groups, lead other player in battle, used her to overcome my fear of speaking in front of people.
The Surcoat is this year’s adition to my kit, and I like it a lot. I will probably change a few small things, but overall it turned out quite well. The whole kit weights slightly over 10 kilos wich, in terms of armour is not much, but I can wear it for prolonged periods of time. The scalemaille was woven by me, from TheRingLord small scales, the Helmet and Pauldrons were made by Wimmer Live Art.
For eight years, I always used elf ears made from Latex, some better, some worse, but for this season I got my first pair of silicone ears.
The difference is striking. they look so much better, are comfortable to wear and much more sturdy. The only downside is, I feel they are a tad too long, as I prefer ears with shorter tips. However, this is only MadhouseStudioFX second style of silicone ears, so I will keep an eye out for new releases.
There are parts of my Larp Costumes that people never see, armour and overcoat cover it all. The grimy shirt has one purpose only: To protect my undershirts from the scalemaille mesh. The black dirt is from the armor, and I do not bother with cleaning it off every time, since it gets like this as soon as I wear the scalemaille. Only the collar, sleeves and lower hems can be seen beneath the armor.
The linen undershirt is my most recent one, and it uses a new base pattern I made. Collar, sleeves and hem will peek out under most outer layers, so I added some embroidery to them.
The Armour surcoat I made for this summer’s Epic Empires quickly became one of my favourite pieces of Costume.
I have not managed to take good pictures of the finished surcoat, so here are some WIP photographs. The surcoat still lacks clasps here, and the sides are not yet closed. But all the embroidery, the leather and the lining are already finished.
For Years I did not use embroidery fleece or stich&tear, I either painted my designs directly onto the fabric or improvised using chinese paper. But ever since I discovered Solufleece, I have not done a single embroidery wihtout. I was always afraid to damage my embroidery while removing the backing, but Soluvlies will dissolve on contact with water… no tearing at all.
Working with Solufleece is very satisfying. the pattern of the material helps with making everything look even, and you can paint on in with a thin marker, even tracing design from paper.
Then comes the best part: removing the Solufleece.
Solufleece is ugly, so after dissolving it and seeing the finished work for the first time, I have this WOW effect every time. I still have to remove the thread that held the fleece in place by hand, and Ill have to remove a few small bits that still stick to the fabric, using warm water. But its such a huge improvement to any workflow I used before.
Elven City, Gouache an paper. I’m still fuguring out Gouache as a medium, and I am still not used to those large formats.
Moritz Jendral took these Photos during the Epic Empires 2016. He is a fantastic Larp Photographer, go check out his work!